Monday, April 15, 2013

Getting started!

The first post on our blog and what to say!?! My husband, David, and I moved to southern Illinois in October 2011 after finding the location of our dreams in February 2011. Saying it that way makes it sound very easy, but what an arduous journey we have had to get here, with some definite luck thrown in.

We knew we wanted to relocate to a climate with milder winters for quite some time and when I lost my job in 2005, we formulated a 5-year plan to find a location and move there. We fell in love with this area in early 2009 and began our search. With most of our belongings in storage since 2009 and having a house to sell, this was not quick and easy. All those minute details would be boring to anyone else (they're even boring to me!) and after finally getting here and settling in, much of all that just seems like a very bad dream anyway. What's important is the here and now.

As for me, I was a farmer's daughter and after living in towns and cities my adult life due to employment, knew I wanted back in the country. As for my husband, he was born in a large city in England but always yearned for the country. He did lots of fishing and camping so he got a taste of what the life was like along the way.

So, it finally begins. We're finally settling in a bit and are excited about all there is to see and learn around here. This blog is dedicated to the wildlife and beauty that surrounds us every day, for with the peace and quiet it's such a healing place. 

This week saw the return of our first hummingbird, we are so happy to see them again! I'm sure more will be posted about our wonderful friends as more come to stay with us a while. I told David a few days ago that we had better set out the hummingbird feeder, since I remembered seeing them in April last year. He set it out and within hours we had our first! I have to chuckle because last year, when I saw the first hummingbird, I thought to myself, "I hope we have more than one". I had only seen one hummingbird my entire life, and that was when I was a child living on our farm. Little did I know that we would have dozens of the little wonders before too long living down here!
Hummingbird nectar recipe: one part sugar to four parts water. It is best to boil mixture to avoid bacteria and letting it cool before adding to feeders.




No comments:

Post a Comment