Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A fine selection for your bird viewing pleasure

Today is another perfect day, in the mid-80s, just a bit warmer than yesterday...barely a cloud in the sky and a slight breeze. Ahhhhhhh!

We sat out on the front deck for supper last night; joining us were the usual throngs of cowbirds swarming the feeder and the hummingbirds. It's very difficult to count how many hummingbirds are around now, we think four males and at least one female. The reason it's difficult is due to the "hummingbird wars", they're getting even more territorial. One waits and guards the nectar nearby and once it sees another, ZOOMS after it and promptly goes back to its perch after getting a sip of nectar with an "it's mine!" attitude. It must be exhausting!

The thought of moving about while on the deck is not a good one; it isn't that the hummingbirds are going for you, it's if you move in their path when they're trying to get somewhere! They are so very fast I'm afraid they won't have time to adjust their flight path if I move at all.

We have so many photos David has taken since we moved here in October 2011 and I have been going back through them, finally organizing them, and want to share some of those here today. I decided to have a peek at "a year ago today" to see what was going on at the time. Having been a cooler winter/spring than normal is apparent...we already had our pool set up by this time last year!

For instance, we had also already seen (on this day, last year) an Indigo Bunting, one of our breeding visitors, but haven't seen one around here this year. *sniffle*
A female Cardinal peeking in...
 
Here it appears to be a young one...
 
What we reckon to be an Eastern Kingbird was also visiting us this day (at bottom of tree, ignore the cowbird at the top!), another breeding visitor. David thinks he has some photos of one nesting around here somewhere. Stay tuned, someday I may find them!

Do I spy with my little eye, an Orchard Oriole? From what I can tell, this appears to be a first year male perched in one of our trees (another breeding visitor).

 
And, wow, Miss Cardinal, talk about a bad hair day! Get to the beauty shop girl!
I guess that sounded like a good idea!
And, what's this...a Least Flycatcher? If so, they are migratory visitors here. You are so named unless I find out differently. Welcome!
 
 
One reason I think we have a Least Flycatcher is the whitish eye ring, seen better in the photo below: 

Nothing to see here, Turkey Vulture, move along...
A female Cowbird...how unusual *rolls eyes* Actually, though...in looking at the huge flock, out of around 30 to 40 birds, I only saw 2 or 3 female, the rest were males.
Meanwhile, back at the beauty salon the Cardinal must be heading to, there is a Chipping Sparrow already there.




I'm sure it will look great once it's dry... 
A Blue Jay flies off with what must be a very special seed...unless it's running late for the beauty salon!
Oh, here's the Cardinal arriving at the beauty salon now...
Later, we find our Cardinal couple out for a nice meal.
Female: "Do you notice *chirp* anything different? *chirp*?
Male: "Um, no, what?" *chirp*
Female: "I went to the beauty shop, for all you care! *chirp* You never notice anything!!! *chirp chirp*
Male: (thinking to self) "Oh, no, what have I done...." *gulp* *chirp*
Male: "Well, you never appreciate anything I do! I take you out for a nice meal and this is the thanks I get!" *chirp chirp chirp* 
 
Oh, dear, I hope it wasn't the end of their relationship, as it is for the end of today's post!
Until next time...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment