Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring has sprung!

Awakened to cloudy skies with rain likely today; looks to be the weather for the next few days. A high of 75 today, low 65. It's already 68 and where we moved from, the temp is now 43. I'm still amazed being in the same state but with such different temperatures, but I'm so glad we found this place.

Spring never used to be among my favorite seasons, I guess because where I'm from in central Illinois there never really was a Spring; it seemed Winter would hold its grip on the world into April and would tease us with some warmer temps but would go straight to Summer temps within a month. Down here it seems to gradually transfer seasons, with the Earth awakening with a long slow stretch as the trees begin to bud and burst into bloom, wild daffodils brighten the countryside with dots of yellow, frogs proclaim their existence and birds we don't normally hear during the winter months suddenly chirp their arrival.


I adore how the world changes around me; one of the reasons I didn't want to move further south was that I would miss the seasons. With a mild winter and longer Spring/Fall seasons here, it's absolutely wonderful. It seems more natural to mosey along with the Earth and what wonders to enjoy if only we take the time to look.

Here is one of my very favorite views of springtime: an Eastern Bluebird perched on an Eastern Redbud, guess the bird is naturally drawn to a tree from the east. :P
Near this tree is an old mailbox that was left here by a previous owner; we saw one of the Bluebirds nesting in it last year and it looks as if there's interest again this year so we are glad we left it intact.


And there are the fruit trees in the yard that welcome the Spring too!


One of our resident female Cardinals enjoys the arrival of Spring too (shown below)! We have many of them and they are one of my all time favorites. I never realized until moving down here, during the Winter cardinals flock together and feed; in the Spring they then pair off and become more territorial.

How can you not have a great day when you can awaken to such beauty? :) I like to give myself an hour after I wake up for some coffee, stare out the windows and hear the birds and creatures welcome me.

No comments:

Post a Comment